Friday, June 11, 2010

The Argument About Harry and Tom

Yesterday afternoon my niece M. and her husband T. and girls C. and K. stopped for a visit. They were on the second day of their vacation to visit my niece B. M’s sister in Michigan. The girls ages 8 and 5 reminded me of when our kids were that age. They are full of curiosity about many things.

This morning I showed them the book I wrote about Harry and Tom the Michigan black bears who live in their underground house by the trees in our back yard.

After breakfast they sat on my bed and C read a couple of chapters to her younger sister K. After reading a couple of chapters, C was tired of reading. I must say that for an 8 year old she reads well.


Later in the morning the girl’s mother started a Veggie Tales video on my TV and the girls sat on my bed and watched the entire show. I must admit that I was so exhausted I slept through part of it.


When was time for them to leave and head to their next stop on their vacation, the two girls came into my room and the oldest C told me that she knows that Harry and Tom aren’t real. However, the youngest told me that she knows that they are real. I told her that if they would come in the winter time, I would show her the smoke that comes out of Harry and Tom’s underground house’s chimney. I didn’t tell her that it really isn’t smoke rather it is the steam from the storm sewer.

I found it refreshing to see the world through the eyes of these two girls.

1 Comments:

Blogger Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

it's so great that the girls brought you so much joy that day. I love being around children for that same reason, they have a way of making things seem simple. As adults, we make things soooo over complicated.
It's also great that you are blogging. Blogs tend to touch people, at an emotional level that sometimes, as author's, we are not always aware. I guess it's because we share so much of ourselves in them and other people can relate to our struggles and good fortunes. I hope you have a great day today and that you have more fun days like the one you had with your nieces.

Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 8:35:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home