Tuesday, June 14, 2011

What A Yeasty Morning

This morning I woke up and discovered that all around my tracheotomy stoma itched really badly. When I looked in the mirror, I discovered that I have a yeast infection growing around the site. We have some medicine cream left from my last yeast infection around my tracheotomy stoma so I applied the cream. Tomorrow the home health nurse will stop by to test my Coumadin level and collect a sputum sample for culturing, so I will ask her to contact my doctor about this yeast infection. I have found that it is better to have the nurse contact the doctor for me. It seems that the doctors believe nurses better then they believe me.

I know that when on antibiotics, especially when I am on antibiotics for a long time, I tend to get a yeast infection. So as soon as the doctor orders antibiotic I start eating a yogurt with active cultures to prevent my getting a yeast infection. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t work. This is one of those times it didn’t work.

Hopefully the Tobramycin will clear up this nasty lung infection without having to be in the hospital for IV drugs. If I end up in the hospital I think I will try to talk the doctor into allowing me to have a PICC line which will allow me to stay home and administer the IV drug myself. However, there is one huge problem and that is the last time I had a PICC line I ended up with a blood clot which hasn’t clear up yet. Well if there is one thing I have learned it is not to borrow trouble so I will just pray that the Tobramycin clears up this nasty infection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home