Monday, February 05, 2007

Memories of Cold times

We have had a cold start to February this year. So I've been sitting in the house remembering some cold experiences I've had.

I remember working for V.T. in western Kansas. One year on the Friday after Thanksgiving he asked me to help him clean out a well. So we gathered everything we needed and headed out to the pasture where the well was. Once we arrived we disengaged the windmill and began to pull the pipes up out of the well. As each pipe section came up we would secure the lower pipe and remove the upper pipe. As the upper pipe came loose cold, ICE COLD, water would run down over our hands, legs basically we just got wetter and wetter. I don't remember how long we were out in that windy pasture getting wetter and wetter with each pipe that we removed. However, I do remember almost dropping a section of pipe down the well because our hands were so cold we were having trouble holding on to the pipe. We did manage to clean out the well using a sand bucket. I remember that on the next day when we reassembled the well everything went easier. It was just as cold and the western Kansas wind was blowing just as hard, however all the pipe and the pipe fittings were dry.

I also remember one day in January 1971. At the time I was living with A. D. and U.H. I had to walk about 1 1/2 miles to the catch the CTA train down town. By the time I arrived at the train platform I was cold through and through. Once on the platform the wind just whistled around me. Finally the CTA train arrived and I got aboard and found a seat by a heater that was blowing cool air around my feet. It took a while for the train doors to close but finally we were off to the next stop. At the next stop the doors opened and the frozen commuters came aboard and found places to sit. However, this time the doors wouldn't close. There we sat with the cold wind blasting through the train. After waiting and freezing for 20 to 30 minutes we were told that we all would have to get off the train and take another train. So we all clambered off the train and stood on the platform. While the ice cold wind whistled around us, we watched the next two trains express past us because they were filled to capacity. Finally a train stopped and I was able to continue downtown to my job. I didn't think I would ever warm up.


Blogger smilnsigh said...

It makes me cold, just reading that!


Friday, April 13, 2007 at 3:32:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home