Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Knee

While on vacation two weeks ago P slipped while shopping and damaged her knee. This accident put a small dent in our vacation, not a large one, only a small one. So once we arrived at home it was phone calls to the doctor and to schedule exams, X-Ray's, MRI's and finally surgery.

So Sunday afternoon, our son drove down from his home about 90 miles north of us. He stayed overnight and drove P to the local hospital yesterday morning. I stayed home until 10 AM when P's cousin came and drove me to the hospital. I have not been able to drive for the last 3 years. When we arrived at the hospital P was sitting in her hospital room reading a book. She told me that the surgeon had not arrived yet so there we sat, she in the chair and I in my wheelchair. After a 1 1/2 hour wait the surgeon came at which time everything moved into high gear. In a short while P was on her way to the operating theater and I and cousin G to the surgical waiting room.

The surgery took about 2 hours at which time the surgeon came and talked to me saying that the knee damage wasn't as bad as they had feared. He had repaired the torn cartilage and said he thought P would be as good as new once everything had time to heal. After P was back in her room, I had cousin G take me home because I was just exhausted and my portable oxygen was empty. Once I was home, son K went back to the hospital to bring P home.

Now it is my turn to take care of P. She is using one of my walkers to help her get around the house. However son K and I made her a supper last night of hamburger on a bun, green beans and a salad. This morning I made her breakfast of boiled egg, toast, and orange juice. After all the years that P has taken care of me I rather enjoy being able to return the favor. I also enjoy telling her not to be so independent, something she has been telling me for years.

P's niece is coming this morning to bring lunch. I am not certain what I will be attempting for supper. It seems that most of the meat is in the freezer in the basement. Sometimes son K comes home from work early enough in the afternoon to bring thing up from the basement freezer. Sometimes he has other things planned and doesn't make it home until late. Of course we do have eggs, veggies, cheese and bread on the main floor so maybe it will be a simple supper.


Blogger smilnsigh said...

I am so sorry that this happened. But glad that the doc felt it was not as bad as feared, at first.

All good wishes to you and to her. And just to repeat, I am so sorry this happened. -sigh-


Tuesday, June 12, 2007 at 4:12:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Britt-Arnhild said...

Good luck to both of you. I hope your wife's knee heals fast.

I guess you both get alot of reading done now :-)

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 at 9:44:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Sorry to hear your wifes Accident hope her knee heals very quickly take care

Thursday, June 14, 2007 at 4:50:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home