Thursday, May 24, 2007

My Little Boat and taking my dad fishing

I had kept my Dad informed about the progress of the repairs on my little fishing boat. So the first time they came to visit after the boat was finished I took Dad out to the garage to show him the little boat. As we stood there in the cool garage I started telling him about how we were enjoying the little boat. After telling him about how much fun it was to be in the boat fishing I asked Dad if he would like to go fishing.

That is why early the next morning we were at the bait shop buying fishing license, and bait. We left the bait shop and drove about one hour to a local river. As we turned off the paved road onto a gravel road Dad asked if I thought we would catch anything. It was late October and I didn’t know what to answer. Soon we arrived at the public launch site and put the boat into the water. I remember thinking that Dad and I must be crazy to be out fishing at this time of the year because boy was it cold.

However, we were there, the boat was ready so off the two of us went slowly up the river. We finally found a good-looking spot, so we tied up the boat and started fishing. Once I turned off the boat motor, it seemed so quiet. After a short wait we started to hear the water lapping at the side of the boat, the birds started singing again and we could here all the sounds of nature. For a while Dad and I sat quietly fishing. Soon however, Dad got the thermos and said it was coffee time. After that we just talked and fished and fished and talked. We stayed in one spot for an hour or so and then would move to a different spot on the river. I remember having cheese sandwiches and apples for lunch with more talking and less fishing.

Dad and I must have spent 6 hours on the water fishing. We never caught a thing. In fact we never had a nibble. Finally we returned to the public access and pulled the boat out of the water and back onto the trailer and went home.

What a day that was. I can still see the colorful fall foliage, and hear the sounds of the river. I don’t remember ever talking about that fish-less fishing trip with Dad after that. However, I wouldn’t have missed that trip for anything.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

The beauty of fishing is being together outside, enjoying the moment with someone you love. Fishing creates memories. I am glad you caught many.

Saturday, May 26, 2007 at 11:45:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Melissa said...

It is amazing how much I still miss him.

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 at 1:42:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home