Thursday, May 10, 2007

Renewing Friendships

This past Tuesday, I had lunch with three people, two who I hadn't seen in 17 years. My one friend came to the house and drove us to local restaurant where we met the other two guys.

It was so much fun to sit and listen to them talk. They talked about their aches and pains, about how they didn't like getting old. About having to go to the doctor, about having to make middle of the night trips to another room of the house. After they had been talking about this for some time, they all suddenly stopped and looked at me in my wheelchair and burst out laughing.

We talked about our children. About trips we had taken. My close friend had just returned from Rome. One of the other friends talked about visiting his father's hometown in Italy. He has been there twice and is going again this summer. I mentioned the two trips my father and I took to visit cousins in the Netherlands. One friend said he and his wife would never be able to do that because they refuse to fly. Which answered the question about why he always drove to various company schools.

Of course we talked about the times we had working together. About the supervisors we had. The silly customers we put up with.

What fun it was.

1 Comments:

Blogger smilnsigh said...

This sounds so great. Maybe you can do it again, some time? Maybe?

You and your father went to the Netherlands...? We visited Amsterdam, many years ago. My husband loves everything by Rembrandt and so, he really wanted to see works of his, 'for real.' We did. We had a wondeerful time there.

This was some years ago, and maybe more people who still remembered WWII were still alive. But anyway, when they would find out we were Americans, they couldn't do enough for us. What a lovely reception!

Whenever I see someone on the Net, who lives in Amsterdam, I thank them for the wonderful welcome we got, in their city.

Mari-Nanci

Thursday, May 10, 2007 at 2:55:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home