Monday, April 30, 2007

Highs and Lows

THE HIGH.

This past Thursday afternoon, my wife's niece A. stopped in to drop off 30 lbs. of bananas and I don't know how many lbs. of small brownies. She got married this past Saturday and had asked us to go to Costco and purchase 30 lbs. of pineapple and 40 lbs. of strawberries. Saturday morning was a beehive of activity around here. Everyone except myself prepared and cut up all the fruit that was to be used with the chocolate fountain at A.'s reception. We have a lot of fruit here now.

As A. and I sat and visited Thursday about her upcoming wedding she told me she had dreamt that I, holding some mistletoe, chased her and her father down the aisle in my wheelchair. For 30 years I have teased A. and her sister about catching them under the mistletoe and kissing them. I ask you which little, young, teenage, woman wants to be kissed by their uncle? Anyway the teasing with the mistletoe turned into a family tradition where on Christmas Eve they would walk in the house, find the mistletoe and hide it from me.

Because A. told me about the dream where I chased her down the aisle with mistletoe, I asked the children to bring up the famous mistletoe from the basement. I took it with me to the church and found A. showed her the mistletoe, got her to burst out laughing and gave her a kiss. This was the first time I've ever kissed her. I had a great time at the wedding. I managed to stay through the reception.

Sunday our son and daughter in-law left for a cruise. Grandma and I get to spend the time with our 2 year old Grandson. I spend a great day yesterday and this morning spending time with L. our grandson.

THE LOW.

For the past number of weeks, every Monday, I have been calling my friend J. who has ALS. After returning from some shopping with our Grandson and having lunch I called J. Most times I leave a voice message telling J. what I have been up to recently, or telling him a funny story, or singing to him. Now if you have never heard someone with a tracheostomy sing, you have no idea how J. must have suffered listening to that voice message.

Today, his wife picked up the phone and told me that J. had taken a turn for the worse over the weekend. They contacted their physicians and now J. has been placed on Hospice. I had to hang up on D. J.'s wife. Even though I knew this news would be coming, the news about J. hit too close to home for me. The disease I have has presented and progressed like ALS, only much slower.

I will try to call J. and D. tomorrow. I might add more to this later.

4 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

a delightful high - it makes me smile - it is so you...

a difficult low...

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 2:23:00 PM PDT  
Blogger smilnsigh said...

That is such a cute story, of the mistletoe. And such a cute idea, for you to have thought to do, at the church. So glad you had a great time and could stay through the reception.

-sigh- I'm very sorry for the low. Both for your friend. And for how it has to effect you. And I don't suppose there are any words, to make it any better. I just hope that writing it down here, is of some help to you.

Hugs,
Mari-Nanci

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 at 2:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger UP said...

Yes actually writing does help. That is one reason I started this journal. I can't talk at great lengths without passing out so it is sometimes difficult for me to express all that I am feeling and thinking about. If you look back through the earlier posting in this journal, you will find all types of entries. Some when I am angry and venting, some are memories, some are just daily activities. However, I find that having this journal helps me express myself and helps pass the time.

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 at 8:21:00 AM PDT  
Blogger UP said...

Yes Mari-Nanci writing about my feelings about my friend and about how I am doing helps a lot. My Blog gives me a safe place to express what I am feeling without burdening those around me.

I try to use my Blog to express my feelings, both the highs and the lows. I am certain that at times we all find it hard to be honest with ourselves about how we truly feel about what is going on around us and also inside us. The Blog gives me a method to be more honest.

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 at 8:38:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home