Friday, March 23, 2007

Weight and Wheelchair bound.

I never had much of a weight problem. However, for the last 5 years or so since I have been confined to a wheelchair my weight has been creeping up. Now try as hard as I can, I can't get my weight to go down or just stop going up.

Well I guess that isn't quite true. I think what happens a lot is I get bored just sitting here in the den all day long. So in the afternoon I will have a snack of 8 or 9 dry roasted almonds. Sometimes, I also will have a 1/2 cup of sugar free jell-o. Then of course there is the snack I always have before bedtime. It is REALLY hard to change a lifetime of eating habits.

I try to keep breakfast down to two pieces of bread, either toasted with butter and jam, or with butter and cheese. Or I will have a small serving of my homemade granola. Lunch is always a small bowl of soup and a piece of fruit. At supper I never have seconds. I guess I will just have to try to reduce my supper portion and my bedtime snack portion.

However, like I mentioned before, it is extremely difficult to change your eating habits. Before I was confined to the wheelchair, I used to ride my bicycle, workout at the gym, and swim laps. These were activities I liked to do. They made me feel good and also allowed me to eat normal portion sizes and not gain weight.

Now I have a neuromuscular disease that has me confined to a wheelchair and some of the medicine I take for that causes weight gain. I also have an under active thyroid which causes weight gain. I guess I am just frustrated today.

Well now it is time to have another boring lunch of soup and an apple.

4 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

I nominated you for a Thinking Blogger award.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 at 5:39:00 AM PDT  
Blogger smilnsigh said...

Hi there. I just came over from And I will be back. And read more here.

In a quick peek here, I already saw some reminiscences. They are great to read.

Glad to meet you.

Mari-Nanci

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 at 11:57:00 AM PDT  
Blogger smilnsigh said...

Oooops! Eeeeeeeeeeek!

Look at what I did with that comment! I didn't close the HTML thing at the end, or something. -grin-

Oh well, I never claim to be 'techy.' :-)

Mari-Nanci

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 at 11:58:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is hard. I really feel for you. I was taking a drug at one time that made me gain half a pound every 3 days like clockwork.
Being confined to a wheelchair and having thyroid problems at the same time... ugh. I was talking to a friend recently who had had a stroke and was gaining weight. She can't do much at all and says food is one of the few things she has to look forward to.

Friday, May 25, 2007 at 9:34:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home