Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Memory of Fresh Snow

It snowed most of yesterday morning. When I looked outside this morning I saw the entire back yard was a vast area of fresh trackless sparkling snow.

As I sat at the kitchen table eating breakfast I remembered one day when I was 13 while we were living in Allison Iowa. One Saturday morning we all woke up to a countryside covered with a blanket of fresh trackless sparkling snow. After breakfast, my older brother and I decided to see if we could find some fox tracks in the snow. We wanted to see how far we could follow a fox.

So we started off. It wasn't long before we picked up the trail of a fox. As I remember it, we followed that fox most of the day. We walked along tracking that fox up and down hills, through fences, along the ditches beside the roads, across roads. At times we would come upon spots where the fox had sat down. Finally late in the afternoon we arrived at the fox den. As we came closer and closer to the den there were more and more old tracks making us thing that we were getting close to the fox den. The interesting thing was that the den wasn't far from where we started following the fox. Over the years as I thought about that Saturday, I often wonder if we were minutes or hours behind the fox?

We both were hungry, wet, and tired when we arrived home that afternoon. I don't know how my older brother felt about that Saturday. I often think back on that day and consider it one of my more precious memories.

3 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

ask him - I want to know too...it sounds like such a fun adventure...

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 at 12:23:00 PM PST  
Blogger UP said...

I asked my older brother, M's father. I thought he would add a comment. However, I guess he decided to just reply to my email. Anyway here is what he said.

I sure do. I think that the one thing you forgot was that we found where he had dung out mice several places or at least tried to, also you and I wondered once or twice if the fox had laid down and watch his back trail. I talked to somebody about doing that just recently. I really enjoyed that day also, it is up there with early morning trap lines. david

Saturday, February 10, 2007 at 5:14:00 AM PST  
Blogger smilnsigh said...

Glad you're writing these things down. If not, memories are lost forever.

Mari-Nanci

Friday, April 13, 2007 at 3:30:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home