Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Free like a bird

Yesterday I went for a ride around the neighborhood. As I was riding I noticed 5 Red Tail Hawk gliding high above me in the air currents. They were really neat to watch as they effortlessly soared high and then glided low to the ground. After being close to the ground for a while they would rise high above me once again.

Anyway watching these birds started me thinking about being free as a bird. What fun it would be to glide through life. So I watched and thought about this idea of being free as I rode down the sidewalk.

After finishing my ride, I went back in the house. I was sitting at the kitchen table opening the mail, when I caught sight of one of the hawks soaring over our back yard. As I watched all the small birds gathered at the bird feeder took fright and flew to the bushes and hid.

So maybe being free as a bird isn't really as free as I first thought it was.

3 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

freedom is funny that way...

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 at 12:11:00 PM PDT  
Blogger smilnsigh said...

"So maybe being free as a bird isn't really as free as I first thought it was."

Never is, is it? When we get right down to it. All of life is made up of so-called-good and so-called- bad. Wins and losses. 'Smiles and Sighs.' :-)

Plus, one's win is often, another's loss. For that hawk, to catch a little birdie, would be a win. Food, to keep the hawk alive. Not a win for little birdie though. But.... who's to say, which is 'good' and which is 'bad'?

You like to peruse the meat dept. in a store. That's pretty normal, for those of us who aren't vegetarians, any way. :-) You like to cook, so it's more fun for you to do this, than for me to. But! My husband is the cook around here, since he's semi-retired. {He loves it. I don't. We both win on this one. -smile} He spends lots of time, at the meat dept.!

Anyway, back to my point... {I ramble} For you and my husband, and your families... it's a good thing. Your families get goood eats out of it.

For the meat, it isn't a good. The meat spent its life, being grown and harvested, for people's food.

But.... all life lives on other life. Sooooooooooooo... Who's to say where the 'good' and the 'bad' fit, in our little meat dept. scene above?

Who can say that to be free as a bird, is always a 'good'? Or to not be free as a bird, is always a 'bad'?

Thursday, April 19, 2007 at 9:22:00 AM PDT  
Blogger smilnsigh said...

And on my view that all of life is made up of both smiles and sighs... I just see life as being that way. I have no need to Find A Reason for good and evil, of any kind or degree.

This way, when bad stuff happens, I don't have to blame any 'Thing' or 'thing.' I don't pray to the Creator. I do not hope for a miracle. It's easier for me, this way. When things happen, like your terrible diseases and when my daughter was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. It's random happenings. For me. To me. I know I'm not surrounded with agreement, and that's fine too.

The world is a beautiful thing. But a ton of shit happens in this world too. For me, it's not because it's a 'fallen world.' It's just because that's the way the world is.

-grin- Aren't you sorry you opened my on line flood gates???
-giggles-

Mari-Nanci

Thursday, April 19, 2007 at 9:30:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home