Monday, April 28, 2008

Deep Fried Turkey

My eldest son C and grandson L came to visit this past weekend. They were giving my daughter in-law a “Mom’s weekend.” They arrived just in time for supper Friday night. After supper, my youngest son K, who works at a dairy, came with the milk products we would need for the weekend.

I ended up in bed watching a baseball game while K assembled the Turkey Fryer and C made the marinade and injected the turkey with it. By this time P had come home from work, so grandma and grandson L made the custard base for ice cream.

For breakfast Saturday morning son C made Buttermilk Whole-Wheat Waffles. Mid morning son C, grandson L, and I headed to the new Cabela’s sporting goods store where we met sons J and K. I spent a wonderful couple of hours browsing. I did find the peanut oil for the Turkey Fryer for a lot less than any other store.

Once home we had lunch and then I ended up in bed to take a nap. I am not certain what everyone else did, but when I woke up the Turkey Fryer was sitting in the back yard ready to start heating the oil.

However there was a problem. Overnight the weather changed from nice warm springtime temperature back to nasty, windy, cold temperature. The temperature was in the upper 40’s and a 14 to 20 mile-per-hour north wind, which had gusts of 30 mph. The boys tried to build a windbreak using 5-gallon buckets, but the wind was just too strong. After spending an hour the oil was only 175 degrees and it needed to be at 350 degrees. So we decided to stop and wait until Sunday.

Sunday morning it was still on the chilly side, but the wind had died down. Son K walked in the door at 10:30. He took the turkey out of the refrigerator so it wouldn’t be so cold when we placed it in the hot oil. Then he went out and set up the Turkey Fryer once again. Even though the wind had died down there still was enough of a breeze that he set up the bucket windbreak. One and half hours later we sat down to a turkey dinner. Because we had the hot oil we also made sweet potato French-fries. For dessert we had the wonderfully rich homemade ice cream with fudge sauce.

However, I was extremely disappointed with the marinade. For one thing there were streaks or layers of the marinade through out the turkey. Also it was WAY too salty. We think the next time we try this we would cut the salt in 1/2 or more. Also I think we will do an overnight marinade instead of injecting the turkey.

But it still good tasting considering everything. And I definitely will be doing this again.


Blogger dot said...

I've never fried a turkey but I've ate it and it's good! Sounds like you had a nice family time and a great dinner!

Monday, April 28, 2008 at 6:01:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home