Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Having to stay in bed

Last month I posted about how my disease has progressed to the point where I no longer can use the Humid-Vent and will need constant humidified air. The doctor wrote the script, which we forwarded it to the medical Supply Company. After a couple of days the respiratory therapist came to the house to determine what would need to be ordered so I could have a constant supply of humidified air.

Last week Friday morning I saw my pulmonologist. I left the house at 8:30 and arrived back at 12 noon. I was exhausted and my lungs felt dry because I no longer am able to use the Humid-Vent, so I spent the rest of the day in bed with my ventilator connected to the external humidifier which sits on the table by the side of my bed.

Saturday we met our good friends at a local restaurant and spent a wonderful evening of friendship, good food, and visiting. Sunday afternoon we had our Mini-Church group here. By Monday morning, I was exhausted and spent the day in bed so I could be connected to the external humidifier and not have to exhale through the Humid-Vent. I was amazed at how much more energy I have when I do not have to exhale against the resistance of the Humid-Vent. I now have faced the fact that until my ventilator is modified to provide constant humidification, I will have to spend my days in bed and use the external humidifier.

Yesterday morning the therapist called and said the items ordered to modify my ventilator for constant humidification had arrived. However it didn’t appear to be everything needed to modify my ventilator for constant humidification. Yesterday afternoon the therapist came with the box of items and confirmed the fact that there wasn’t enough to modify my ventilator. After a number of phone calls it became clear that I will need a different ventilator. The new ventilator will be the same basic vent, however it will contain the additional circuitry needed to support constant humidification. Unfortunately, the therapist was unable to tell my how long is will be until the new ventilators will arrive. It appears that while the Medical Supply Company has thousands of my ventilators, it has only a few of my model ventilators that support constant humidification.

So it appears I will be spending a lot of time in bed. One nice thing about all of this is I get to look out a different window. When sitting in the recliner in the den I see my neighbor’s bird feeders and a field. I watch the Goldfinch, Juncos and other small birds on the feeders. I also get to watch the hawks and falcons waiting in the trees watching for some prey to swoop down on. In bed I look out on the street and watch the coming and goings of the neighborhood. A change in scenery is nice, keeping one from getting bored.

2 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Ugh! I bet the change of scenery is nice but not being able to sit up often is going to get old, I am afraid.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 at 2:54:00 PM PST  
Blogger Britt-Arnhild said...

Dear Tippy. I admire your positive attitude. You really have some challenges in your life, don't you........ I am with you here in Norway.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 at 2:21:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home