Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Snow

As I sit in the den looking out the window at the 4 inches of fresh snow that arrived during the night I started thinking about snow. Then I thought about my sisters phone call yesterday telling me her kids were being sent home from school. They were sent home after only being in school for a couple of hours, because of snow. Here are a few of my memories of snow and High School.

When I was in High School, our family lived in western Kansas. Every morning the bus driver Ed would stop the school bus on the road in front of the house and blow the horn. However, on those mornings when it would be snowing, he would pull the bus into the church parking lot and put chains on the tires. After the chains were on all seven of us, my 4 sisters and 2 brother and myself, would pile aboard the bus to begin the slow, bumpy, torturous bus ride to pick up the rest of the kids and then head off down the final stretch of oil road to town. Often by late winter those old Kansas dirt roads seem to be mostly made up of ruts and the school bus would slew and slide around in those ruts, throwing us around in our seats.

Occasionally the bus would become stuck or it would slide off the road into the ditch. One time we almost slid off a small bridge and Ed sent my older brother walking back up the road to ask for the help of a tractor to pull us back onto the road. Another time during my senior year, the bus got stuck and it took Ed and myself a good hour of shoveling snow to get unstuck. Ed would shovel for a while then get back into the bus to warm up and than I would shovel for a while until I got cold.

My older brother reminded me of the time a snowstorm was forecast, and the school principle did not believe the weather forecast so they sent the buses out? Dad was a bit upset but we went anyway. Running 1½ hour late, we made it all the way around the route and had just picked up the last family when the office called Ed on the radio and told him to turn around and drop us all back off. It stormed so much we did not have school for another 3 days.

I could write volumes about my memories of snow. However, before boring everyone I will save those memories for some other time.

3 Comments:

Blogger dot said...

Those are wonderful memories to share! I would enjoy hearing any other ones you might want to write about.
I hope you are feeling better. You are on my prayer list.
If you've never been to Abe Lincoln's blog I think you might enjoy it. http://brookvilledailyphoto.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 3:02:00 PM PST  
Blogger Melissa said...

I would absolutely love to hear more and be bored to death by it - but then I share very similar memories and I know the names. :)

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 at 7:51:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi Tippy, Its nice to go down memory lane, I also would like to read more..
Thanks for the Comment on my tests, I was diagosed with Bowel cancer nearly 4 years ago and had Major surgery had haff my bowel removed ,so these tests will go on forever.. all these test beat the alternative....take care ill return soon..

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 at 5:21:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home