Wednesday, January 09, 2008

The January Doldrums

Having survived the excitement of the holiday season, I now find myself in that period between Christmas and Easter when the weather begins to warm up. The only time I will get out is for doctor appointments. I do not even go to church during this sneeze and squeeze season.

You ask what exactly is the sneeze and squeeze season? It is that time of year when there are a lot of people with colds who will sneeze, or blow their nose and then want to shake my hand. Not wanting to risk another lung infection, I follow my doctor's advice and stay home. Sometime I will go with P to the grocery store, however that often means a trip in my wheelchair through the salt that is spread on the grocery store's parking lot. As a result of not wanting the salt to damage my wheelchair, I don't make many trips to the grocery store either.

So these next couple of months are basically spent at home alone while P is off to work. However, I do keep busy doing Sudoku puzzles, reading the newspaper, watching old police shows on TV. I am often busy Instant Messaging my family. Also it is my responsibility later in the afternoon to take the main dish for supper out of the refrigerator and place it in the oven.

As I read over this post, I think to myself "wow UP you really don't do much do you?" However, I must say that because of the progress my Spinal Cerebellar Degeneration disease has made, this is about all the activity I can handle without completely exhausting myself. As I am finding out one day of exhausting myself will take me four of more days to recover.

Maybe the January Doldrums aren't such a bad thing after all.

4 Comments:

Blogger smilnsigh said...

The best thing, is your attitude. You continue to be amazing.

I totally agree on not going out and submitting yourself to germs. I try to do the same. Just because I'm nearly 71 and I don't handle germs so well, anymore. Even in my mostly healthy state.

Plus, you don't have to shake hands for the flu thing to get to you. It's air born.

I know you are so much younger than I, so it doesn't really fit but... You would agree that my "Day" is pretty uneventful too. :-) Some people my age, would think they were gonna' fade away, if they chose to be as non-productive as I do. They just _have_ to keep doing stuff.

Well, I am happy to say that I'm not one of them! I've had no problem with saying; "Gee I can't do this or that anymore." I look on it as a perk of older age!!!!

Again, none of this is comparable to your situation. And I am not trying to compare it. Just thought, I'm not any too bussssssy myself. So, I mentioned it.

Sometimes, we can read blog-land and it seems as if _everyone_ is living in a whirl-wind of activity. Nope! Not I. :-)

Hugs,
Mari-Nanci

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 at 8:28:00 AM PST  
Blogger dot said...

You are smart not to go out and risk catching something.
Thinking of the old police shows, a few years ago they were showing reruns of Dragnet and my son (he's 42) asked if it was a comedy. I guess it does seem rather funny when you watch it today. The old shows are the best tho.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 at 12:37:00 PM PST  
Blogger Britt-Arnhild said...

Staying home or going away, doing alot or taking your time - through it all your great way with words shine.

Thanks :-)

Saturday, January 19, 2008 at 7:45:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jeanette said...

Hi UP, You stay indoors You dont want to go outside and submit yourself to all those airbourne Germs, I tend to hybernate in winter only going out when I have to shop and them someelse is coughing and sneezing the next thing you get it... Take great care. Jen

Saturday, January 19, 2008 at 7:03:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home