Saturday, November 24, 2007

Thanksgiving, Smoked Turkey, and more food

Thanksgiving dinner was at P's niece who live about an hour drive away. We were asked to arrive after 1 PM for appetizers. So we left the house about 12:45 arriving at P's niece by 2 PM. When we arrived we found out that P's sister hadn't arrived yet so I couldn't get into the house. P's sister was bringing the ramp I needed to ride up into the house. So I sat in the van for about 1/2 hour waiting. While I waited I did my Nebulizer treatment. I was just finishing up my Nebulizer treatment when they arrived. Timing is everything.

Once we got over that small bump in the road I had a GREAT time. It was nice to be out of the house. Last Sunday at church there was so much coughing and people getting up to get drinks of water that I think the time has arrived for me to stay home and stay healthy.

Thursday night son J. came over and we put a 14-lb. turkey into an apple brine. We brined it for 12 hours and late Friday morning placed it on the smoker using apple wood chips for the smoke. After 4 hours on the smoker we removed the turkey and tented it with foil and let it rest for about one hour. After the one-hour rest period, son J. removed the legs, thighs, breasts and wings. The little bits we sampled were juicy and smoky flavored.


While the turkey was smoking J. and his sister K. put up the Christmas tree and K. made three loafs of pumpkin bread. They also prepared a Guinness Lamb Stew for supper. I wasn't certain how I would like lamb, but this was really good.

Tomorrow afternoon CK&L are traveling from K.'s parents and will spend the night here. So I plan on serving the smoked turkey on a sourdough multi grain bread with thinly sliced Granny Smith apples, Gouda cheese, Dijon mustard and Mayonnaise. Along with a side of Waldorf salad, apple cider to drink. Son K. just called to say he was making an apple pie and will be bringing that tomorrow for dessert.

Before everyone thinks that all I do is eat, and eat some more. I must say that I am really watching portion sizes this year. While I am suppose to be at 1800 calories a day, the last couple of days have been more like 2000 - 2100 calories. I am really trying to watch it this year because I really want to get through this holiday season without packing on the pounds. It is hard enough to get them back off when you can exercise, imagine what it is like when you can't.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your supportive comment on my blog, UP. It is hard to stick to a restrictive diet at the best of times, let alone when you are not healthy.

Your sandwich combo sounds yummy! I like reading about good food and getting ideas. When your calories are restricted you want to make the most of them!

Sunday, December 2, 2007 at 3:57:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home