Wednesday, November 14, 2007

It's Applesauce

Yesterday morning, I sat in my recliner doing my usual morning things, devotions, Sudoku, reading the newspaper, checking email. You know the morning routine. It did take me a little longer to do each of these because P is off on Tuesday and I like to spend time talking to her. Around midmorning she headed off to her Tuesday morning swim exercise class. Because I am no longer on the pain and muscle relaxing medicine I felt well enough to work on the book I am writing with my niece ME of those northern skies. By the time I was finished with the latest chapter and had emailed it to her, P had returned and it was lunchtime.

Immediately after lunch I was so tired I set my alarm for a 1/2 hour and fell asleep. When I woke up, P had gone to a doctor appointment and so I wandered about the house. As I was going through the kitchen I spotted the 1/2-bushel of apples waiting to be made into applesauce. Feeling as good as I did, I got out the two large pots and cut up the all the remaining apples and had them on the stove cooking when P came back. P didn't say much about the apples, she just asked if I wanted to go with her to the grocery store. So off I went.

When we returned, I started finishing the applesauce by putting the apples in the food mill thing. Let me tell you, if you have a neuromuscular disease, sitting at the kitchen table cranking away at the food mill is HARD work. And I didn't even crank fast. I managed to get through most of the apples, while P made three meals. One we ate last night, one we will have tonight and the leftovers from last night will be in the freezer for another nights supper.

However, I must admit that I wasn't able to finish making the applesauce. I just ran out of energy. Then to make matters worse we had or are having a weather front moving through causing my arthritis and neuropathy muscular pain so bad I couldn't sleep last night. I think I got about two hours of sleep last night. I was up reading until 2 A.M. went to sleep and woke up at 2:30 read for another 15 minutes. Then at 4:15 this morning I woke up and just knew the sleeping was over for the night.

I probably over did things yesterday. However, I was so glad to finally be feeling well enough to do something after a week and a half of taking really strong pain medicine. My neurologist keeps talking to me about the "yo yo" effect. Where you feel good so you over do things and then are so exhausted that you can't do anything for the next week. Then you feel good and repeat the doing too much and paying for it for a week. I don't think I have that pacing myself down to an exact science yet.

Oh well I enjoyed yesterday and at this point am looking forward to breakfast and an interesting day.


Post a Comment

<< Home