Thursday, December 29, 2011

I Spend the Night in the ER.

I spent Tuesday night in the ER. Here is an email about what happened:

I was in an extreme amount of neurological pain (10 of 10) Tuesday night, so P called my Neurologist. She had given us her cell phone number some months back. She asked what had changed recently and P told her about the Rimfapin, the medicine the Infectious Disease Doctor is trying on my MRSA lung infection. My Neurologist told me she needed to look it up and would call us back. When she called back she told us that it seems that Rimfapin decreases the effectiveness of both my Fentanyl and Oxycodone pain medicines so she told P to take me to the ER for morphine. So at 10:30 - 11:00 PM we went to the ER.

I stayed in the ER overnight as there were no beds available in IMCU. It's a little confusing as to whether or not I was going to be admitted. The doctor said yes as soon as there was a bed available. The nurses said there may not be a bed available and that I may be discharged. My understanding is that Neurologist wants me on an IV drip but for how long I don't know. My guess was that in the morning this would all be sorted out and that if necessary to admit me, or transferred me to another hospital.

The morphine injected through an IV certainly made me more comfortable.

In the morning after talking to both my Internist and my Neurologist they decided to put me on an oral form of Morphine and to increase my Fentanyl patch. My Internist didn’t want me admitted and thus be exposed to more hospital drug resistant lung infections. So after a miserable night I came home. I just pray this all works out and will clear up the MRSA. It certainly would be a shame to go through all of this only to find out that the MRSA has colonized like the Serratia has.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home