Saturday, July 21, 2007

Here I go again

I was wrong when I thought we had gotten ahead of this cold. Yesterday afternoon the Home Health Nurse called to tell me that me sputum culture result shows I have a Pseudomonas infection. The last time I had this infection it took 18 months to fight.

So this morning the nurse came and started an IV line. She ended up placing it in my wrist which is an issue because of the chance of my damaging or dislocating it when I use my walker to transfer to my wheelchair. Because of that, and because it took her a long time and a number of sticks before finally finding the site by my left hand wrist, she is going to set up an appointment for me to have a PICC Line. This is an upsetting development. However, I like having a PICC Line batter then having an IV.

If this isn't bad enough, my right hip aches. It started last evening and kept waking me up during the night. Of course I right away jump to the worse conclusion that the infection has settled in one of my replacement hips. Now I know that this a possibility, and that pseudomonas does colonize in replacement joints and/or tracheotomy. However, there is no proof that this is what happened. So I must wait until Monday before talking to my doctor. I know I could call the Doctor's weekend service, but the doctor won't do anything until Monday because I am on the IV antibiotic. She will want to give the antibiotic time to work.

So what started as a cold, has suddenly turned serious. It is time for me to go and work a Sudoku puzzle. I need to keep my mind busy so I don't spend all weekend wasting energy on worrying instead of allowing that energy to help in the healing process.

1 Comments:

Blogger Britt-Arnhild said...

I am so sorry to hear these bad news. Good luck to you.

Sunday, July 22, 2007 at 8:16:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home