Thursday, March 05, 2009

The Golden Goodness of Bread

Last night I asked P to start some No-Knead whole-wheat Bread, using a recipe from my sister G. She started the bread just before she went to bed. When making whole-wheat breads, we like using whole wheat flour that my brother D buys for me when he and his wife visit their daughter in Michigan.

When he and his wife travel to Michigan they often spend the night with us. Then when in Michigan they like to shop at a country store that sells stone ground flours. I really like the stone ground whole-wheat flour because it has more texture then the store bought whole-wheat flour we can buy in the grocery stores. I also think this flour has a nice subtle nutty flavor. So I usually ask them to buy 10 – 15 pounds and drop it off on their return trip.

This morning when I rolled into the kitchen at 6 AM to make some coffee I discovered a delicious yeasty bread dough odor. After P left for work, daughter K punched down the bread dough, divided it into 2 halves and placed it into 2 bread pans I had taken out of the cupboard and greased. I have made this bread enough to know that one must have the bread pans well greased. We covered the bread pans and left them to do their business of rising to double their size.

About one hour ago, I went to check on the bread and discovered the time had arrived to bake the bread. After the oven had reached the correct temperature I placed the bread pans in the oven, set the timer and returned the den. As I sat in the den the delicious smell of fresh baked bread wafted around the door filling the room.

The timer went off, I removed two golden brown loafs of bread from the oven, took them out of the bread pans and put them on the cooling rack. They are now waiting for me to use some for my lunch. I think today’s lunch will be a chicken salad sandwich, small salad and a piece of fruit.

In my opinion homemade bread is always so much better than grocery store purchased bread. After reading this, I am reminded of the children’s story about the little red hen who asks everyone to help her make the bread and no one wanted to help make the bread. However, everyone was willing to help her eat the bread. At our house everyone helps make the bread and eat it. Oh and here is the bread recipe.

Overnight No-Knead Whole Wheat Bread

4 c. bread flour
2 ½ c whole wheat flour
1 tsp. yeast
½ c. warm water (110-115 degrees)
2 ¼ c warm water
2/3 c dry milk
¼ c sugar or honey
¼ c melted shortening or 1/3 c oil
1 TBSP salt or less (I use 2 tsp.)

Start bread in the evening. Dissolve yeast in ½ c water. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well. This will be rather moist dough. Place in lightly greased bowl and let rise overnight. Punch dough down every hour until you go to bed. In the morning shape into loaves (8 ½ X 4 ½ or 9 X 5) and let rise until doubled. Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans. Cool on wire rack.

*Use potato water or add a couple TBSP potato flakes for a very light bread

1 Comments:

Blogger dot said...

That sounds really good. A few years ago I bought a grain mill and some wheat and was making my own flour. I never could get the bread to do right so I finally sold the machine. I think I might try this recipe. Thanks!!

Friday, April 10, 2009 at 7:35:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home