Monday, November 27, 2006

I'm back

Well it's been over one week since I've posted anything. The reason for this is because I've been in the hospital with pneumonia. On Friday November 17 K. came home from college in the early afternoon. We visited catching each other up on each other's news. P. came home from work and we sat down for supper. About halfway through supper, I started feeling short of breath. Finally I asked P. to help get me to bed.

2 1/2 hours later, P. came and took my temperature. It was 100.6. So P. called my doctor, who said to take me to the ER. By the time I arrived at the hospital, I had a temperature of 101.9. So began my stay in the hospital. I was on IMCU for four days.

Of course the doctors, I had 3 of them, were all busy ordering blood test, sinus CT scans, chest X-Rays, Sputum cultures. Unfortunately for my, or maybe fortunately, they discovered that my hemoglobin was dropping like a rock. So an upper and lower GI was ordered. What fun.

After everything was done, the doctors were left scratching their heads. They said "well maybe I had the start of pneumonia. But maybe not." The sinus CT scan came back clean. The chest X-Ray came back with what looked like the start of pneumonia. The upper and lower GI came back clear. I think that is good news.

Anyway I managed to make it home in time for Thanksgiving. My second son J. was in charge of Thanksgiving this year. He came up with the menu, and assigned items to all who would be at our house for Thanksgiving. He was in charge of the Thanksgiving turkey and so fixed an Apricot Glazed Turkey with onion and shallot gravy. He also fixed a Dried Fruit Stuffing. So along with the turkey we had a delicious meal with a number of home made pies for dessert.


While I was in the hospital J. and I started talking about going in together and buying a smoker. Friday morning he and I started looking throught the ads and soon found a Brinkman smoker for the amount we wanted to spend. So off J. went to pick it up. Friday afternoon, C. went and purchased a 5 pound ham and some chunk charcoal and an electric charcoal starter. Also Friday afternoon, P. fixed Sweet Potato Pie with the leftover turkey for Friday supper. Her Sweet Potato Pie makes waiting a whole year for Thanksgiving worth it.

Saturday morning, I supervised the marinating of the ham. Saturday afternoon I supervised the smoking of the ham and two large onions. The supervising is easy, I just sit in my wheelchair and watch the boys. I have never had home smoked ham before, but let me tell you it is delicous. Now I am looking forward to having the boys home again so that we can smoke other foods.

Well I hear the mail truck outside so I think the time has come to close this ramble.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home