Monday, September 17, 2007

I do the Harvest Hammer 5K

Well I can cross off one more item on the list of things to do. I have now taken part in a 5K-run/walk. Saturday September 15 my older brother, younger sister, niece and her husband participated in the Harvest Hammer 5K-Run/21K-Bike event. At 9 AM the 5K-Run/Walk began.



My sister, niece and her husband ran.





My brother and I walked.



I was so cold. When I was in a manual wheelchair I would create body heat by pushing the chair. Now I can no longer manage a manual wheelchair, so have an electric chair. Using an electric wheelchair does not cause your body to generate any heat. So I wore a heavy shirt, lap blanket, hat and gloves. When my brother took his jacket off, I offered to carry it over my legs. If you click on the photo you will see I am quite the fashion statement.

D and I crossed the finish line 54 minutes after starting.



I can't tell you how glad I am to have finally done a 5K. I must mention that my sister ran the 5K five minutes faster than the 5K she ran this past spring. Also my niece came in 3rd in her category for the 5K-Run/21K-Bike.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to each of you! I never thought about how cold it would be when you don't generate body heat through exercise.

Monday, September 17, 2007 at 2:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Peter said...

Yeah Uncle P!!!! Pretty cool! and Aunt M is flying (by the picture at least). Nephew

Monday, September 17, 2007 at 5:11:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Melissa said...

Yeah! Hi Dad! Dad always looks like Dad - he is awesome.

A and R are both smiling...those two are gluttons for punishment.

The M's did themselves proud. :)

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 4:50:00 AM PDT  
Blogger smilnsigh said...

Much Congratulations! Especially when being so cold, due to not exercising.

Glad you said this, because probably not many would think of it, on our own... That exercise can keep us warm. We forget those seemingly 'small' things, don't we?

Another reminder to not forget a lot of seemingly 'small' things, we do every day. Every hour! You do us a favor, by reminding us of such things. Thank you.

Mari-Nanci

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 6:30:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Britt-Arnhild said...

Congratulations to you Tippy :-)

Friday, September 21, 2007 at 9:43:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home