Tuesday, August 14, 2007

What a weekend

Son J finally arrived at 9:00 PM Friday evening. I guess that is what happens when one leaves at 4:00 PM planning on driving 90 miles through the Chicago area Friday evening traffic. He said that after 2 1/2 hours of stop and go traffic he found that he was close to his friends house so stopped for a visit while waiting for the traffic to clear. Once here he added the wet marinates to the beef. He also massaged the beef that had the dry pepper rub.

Bright and early Saturday morning K's boyfriend K came with breakfast sausage. He and J made sausage and Buttermilk Oatmeal Pancakes for breakfast. Then J and K started the grills. The gas grill and our old charcoal grill. By 9:00 AM they had the foil smoke packets made and were placing the teriyaki marinated meat on the grills. They ended up using two grill grates for the charcoal grill. For the rest of the day J was busy turning meat on the grills as it smoked. After it had smoked enough he would remove it from the grills and K and I would help place it on the dehydrator.

By late afternoon the smoking and dehydrating process was slowing down so J started preparing the food he had brought along for supper. He fixed steaks, sweet corn, crusty bread with garlic chive butter, and a salad. By this time son K came over to help as daughter K and her boyfriend had other places to be.

When I went to bed around 7:00 PM the two brothers were cleaning up the kitchen and finishing up the dehydrating. I found out the next morning that they finally finished up around 9:00 PM. I must say that while making beef into jerky is a lot of work, it turned out to be good jerky. And it was a lot of fun to make. You do a lot of visiting while your hands are busy.

Sunday morning I felt good enough to make it to church for the first time since catching this latest infection. I had a good time, saw a lot of people, and talked too much. Of course I talked too much, I had to make up for lost visits. However, by Sunday evening my weekend caught up with me. I was in bed early and asleep by 8:00 PM. P told me Monday morning that she had a difficult time with the 10:00 PM I.V. It seems that in my sleep I would kink the I.V. tubing and stop the I.V. from running.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carole Burant said...

Hi UP:-) Thank you so much for dropping by my blog and thank you also for the kind words of sympathy about the death of my SIL...that meant a lot to me! My brother Guy made his own smoker to make beef jerky and every Spring when we go to his place (he owns a Maple Sugar Farm)he makes the jerky and oh boy, is it good:-) I do hope you start feeling better real soon...not fun when you react to the medication!! Thank you again! xo

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 at 8:14:00 AM PDT  
Blogger smilnsigh said...

It's great that you had such a wonderful weekend. I'm glad you were able to really enjoy all of it.

Mari-Nanci

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 at 4:08:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Britt-Arnhild said...

Food and friends, and good enough for church. I am so happy that you have defeated your infection UP.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 at 8:46:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home