Friday, September 28, 2007

Michigan Here We Come

P and I attend a large church. Our church has four services each weekend, one on Saturday night and three Sunday morning. I believe there are around 5,000 people who attend on a regular basis. As you can imagine with imagine with such a large church it is difficult to get to know people.

One way our church leadership addressed the issue of people staying connected with each other is to encourage Mini Churches. For the past year we have hosted a Mini Church in our home every other Sunday evening. The reason we hosted it is because I know I can get into our house. I might not be able to get into other houses. The every other Sunday evening get together is a time for talking with each other, sharing experiences, high moments and low moments. Some share grandchildren photos and stories. I am always ready to listen to the latest stories. Some share hair raising teenage children stories. I like those type of stories and have a large number concerning our children when they were teenagers. It's a friendly time of visiting and after the first hour of visiting we spend the second hour talking about a Biblical truth or concept. Currently R leads these discussions, however he wants to return to school. So P and I will be more involved by leading the discussions.

When P and I learned that church was having a Mini Church leadership-training seminar we signed up. The seminar starts this evening and ends early tomorrow afternoon. It was to end Sunday afternoon, but too many of the people attending are also the people who volunteer to help at the Saturday evening and/or Sunday services. Seems as if, just like in most organizations that rely on volunteers, 20% of the group seem to do 80% of the work. Oh well what can one do.

One nice thing about driving to Holland Michigan is you go past South Haven Michigan. Now in South Haven there is an Ice Cream store that in my opinion has some of the best ice cream. Hopefully they haven't closed for the year because I would love to have some Sherman's Ice Cream.

3 Comments:

Blogger smilnsigh said...

I hope you have a good trip.

And some of that special Ice Cream!

Mari-Nanci

Friday, September 28, 2007 at 5:01:00 PM PDT  
Blogger UP said...

The trip was great. We had a good time at the conference. AND on the way home yesterday, I had a dish of Peanut Butter Cup ice cream.

Sunday, September 30, 2007 at 4:50:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Boots said...

I think the world just ended. He DIDN'T have Butter Pecan???? The world HAS ended.

Monday, October 1, 2007 at 11:50:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home