Monday, March 16, 2009

Fun Weekend

Friday almost everyone headed to Iowa where my sisters and sister in-laws were having a combined shower for our youngest son and his fiancée and our youngest daughter and her fiancé. P left mid morning on Friday and the other 4 left around 6:30 that evening.

Of course, as always, when everyone has left me someone must come to stay here. So our second son J drove down from his work to stay here this weekend. Now son J. not only loves to cook, he also is an excellent cook. Soon after he arrived Friday evening he started a No-Knead pizza dough, which requires 12 to 24 hours of rise time.

Saturday morning J started loads and loads of laundry. He told me it is more convenient to do laundry here rather in the laundry room in the basement of his apartment building where he has to share the washer and dryer with the other three tenants. After that he went to the grocery store for the rest of the groceries we would need. When he returned he started marinating the chicken for Sunday’s Tandoori Chicken.

Early Saturday afternoon we made Chex-Mix. Then he took my laptop apart in order to replace the CD/DVD drive and the Mouse Touch Pad. For Saturday supper we made the pizza using the No-Knead dough and placing thinly sliced tomato, fresh basil and fresh mozzarella cheese. It was so simple and yet so fresh and delicious. After supper J started a batch of No-Knead bread and Sunday’s breakfast, a batch of overnight yeast waffles.

Sunday morning we had a GREAT breakfast of home made, not store bought, waffles. They were so light I thought they might fly from my plate and fly around the room. Lunch was Tandoori chicken done on the grill, along with grilled mushrooms, zucchini squash, cherry tomatoes, red pepper, and red onion, and bulgar wheat fixed like couscous with a couple cloves of garlic, ½ a red onion and ¼ cup of diced red pepper. We are now both trying to stay awake until it is time to bake the No-Knead bread.

The two couples arrived home from Iowa late this afternoon just as J was baking the bread. After a supper of hamburgers done on the grill everyone headed to their homes to get ready for another week of normal activity. P is staying in Iowa over Sunday night and coming home Monday.

So my fun weekend comes to an end. Well not exactly to a complete end, I will be having some delicious bread with cheese for breakfast.

P.S. This past weekend reminded me of the one week a year I would spend at my parents. Before my mother was in a nursing home, I would spend a week at home with both of them. After Mom was in a nursing home I would spend a week with my dad. We would spend our days doing the same thing that J and I did this weekend. Of course our days would always include visiting mom in the nursing home, but when Dad and I were at home we would spend time on his computer, in the yard, visiting with each other and doing things together. We would decide what we wanted to eat, make a shopping list, go to the store and then make the meals together. I think there is something in our human nature that draws people together when preparing food.


Blogger Britt-Arnhild said...

I loved reading your blog today UP. What a lovely week-end you had with your son.

I also love sharing your memories of your parents, like th eone you shared in my blog.

Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 5:57:00 AM PDT  
Blogger dot said...

All that food is making me hungry! What a nice son you have and unusual that he can cook all those things.

Friday, April 10, 2009 at 7:00:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home