Monday, June 01, 2009

A Big, Big, Busy Month

WOW May has been a Big Big month at our house. On May 17, 2009 our youngest daughter K. graduated from Valparaiso University Summa Com Laude with a degree in Social Work. The next day she started her new job. Not only was K. busy getting settled into a new job, she was busy packing, getting ready to move out of her family home, and getting all the many small details seen to for her wedding which was two weeks after her college graduation.

While K was busy with the new job and everything, her mother had the week before the wedding as vacation. P. didn’t want to be so busy just before the wedding that she would be so stressed that she would not be able to enjoy the wedding. Even with taking the entire last week off, P. was busy every day. I think this did help so K. didn’t have to worry as much. All she had to do was tell her mother what she needed help doing.

On Thursday P. picked up my niece at the airport. My niece M. of “Those Northern Skies” was the wedding photographer. Also late Thursday evening, K.’s brother, sister in-law and nephew (the ring bearer) arrived. So the house was rather full on K.’s last evening here. K. asked her nephew to let her sleep until 7 AM, so at 6 AM our grandson was tip toeing around the upstairs so he wouldn’t wake up his aunt. However, at 6:30 he went downstairs, he said to get a toy, but his aunt heard him sneaking down the stairs as only a 4 ½ year old can sneak. She told me later that once he got to the bottom of the stairs she saw her bedroom door knob slowly turn and the door slowly open. Once it was open enough L put his head around the door to check if his aunt was still sleeping. Then the door slowly closed and L got his toy and quietly tip-toed back up the stair. So much for sleep until 7:00, K told me later that she was already awake.

The wedding took place at the Valparaiso University’s Chapel of the Resurrection. So shortly after noon on Friday we all left and drove to Valparaiso, IN. We had arranged to have an early check in at the hotel so I would be able to rest up from the drive before the 3 P.M rehearsal. I made it through the rehearsal; I didn’t make it to the rehearsal dinner. After the rehearsal, I went back to the hotel room and went to bed. I wanted to be well rested for the big wedding. This turned out to be a good decision on my part because; my sisters and nieces were in out of my room all evening. It was great, I lay in bed and listened to them talk while they sat on the bed and talked.

Saturday I stayed in bed most of the morning resting while everyone else was busy with all the last minute wedding business. K. decided to have our family photos taken just before the wedding so I wouldn’t have to be at the church as long. So we had family photos at 12:00.

Shortly after 1:00 K. and I took a long walk down the aisle of the church. I must tell you that it is difficult to drive a wheelchair, smile, and not run into the bride while one’s eyes are all teary. But I managed it and K. arrived safely at the front of the church.


Blogger Mulberry said...

Love the picture! It captures the joy of the wedding. Did all the rhubarb make it safely to your kitchen?

Friday, June 5, 2009 at 6:08:00 PM PDT  
Blogger UP said...

Yes, yes the rhubarb made it safely to our kitchen. Now that K & K received word that their offer on the house was accepted, I hope to send my rhubarb plants over to their place. Daughter K said she would plant them in the garden there.

Saturday, June 6, 2009 at 5:14:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home