Wednesday, September 02, 2009

What a morning

Wow what a morning. Yesterday we switched out ventilators and replaced the circuit, something we do every 15 days. However, last night after switching the vents the vent seemed to be giving a lot of "Low Pressure" alarms. So P and I switched me back to the other vent and retested everything on the vent that seemed to be having excessive "Low Pressure" alarms. Everything checked out so we switched back again.

This morning when I got up I felt terrible. I had no energy, and was just dragging. When I transfer to my recliner, I have to switch the vent from external battery power to the house AC power. As I was doing that I glanced down at the vent and noticed that last night when we were changing and exchanging vents, we had not reconnected the oxygen to the vent. Which meant that I had spent the entire night without sufficient oxygen? So I connected the oxygen to the ventilator and after 1/2 hour I started to feel better.

However, that isn't the end of the story. After transferring to the recliner, I always have to connect my vent circuit to the humidifier which means I also have to connect the circuit heater and sensor cables. I must not have gotten the heater sensor cable connected properly and the heater started to alarm. Between my low oxygen level and all the alarms, I ended up waking P up and asking her to get me a new heater sensor cable. When she walked into the den with the new cable I started to disconnect the heater sensor cable from the humidifier, I must have moved it enough to actually have it make a connection because the alarms suddenly stopped. Turns out I didn't have it pushed in all the way into the connector.

Now everything has settled down. The sun is shining, the windows are open, I hear the birds outside, and Life is wonderful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home