Monday, July 04, 2011

It Was Approaching A Ten

On Saturday I planned on going to church for the second time this year. I took thing easy, managing to take a two hour nap in the afternoon and still managing to fall asleep early Saturday evening. Fine I thought come Sunday, I really will make it to church.

However, when I woke up Sunday morning, I was just exhausted. That exhaustion that causes tears to run down your face, there was no way I was going to be able to make it to church. In fact even before P. left for church I was taking the first of a couple of yesterday’s naps. Even with those naps, I was exhausted all day yesterday and then mid to late afternoon the pain started. My feet and entire legs, lower arms, palms and fingers all felt as if they were on fire. I thought about taking an additional pain medication, however as tired as I was I didn’t dare risk taking the pain medicine. I didn’t want to cause more medical problems with my feeling so tired and not wanting to go to sleep and not waking up. At my next appointment with my neurologist I need to talk to her about this issue of taking pain medication when feeling so exhausted.

The pain continued to get worse. By early evening I couldn’t find a comfortable spot. Nothing I did helped with the pain. I would manage to fall asleep only to awaken by the pain a couple of minutes later. I finally gave in and took by evening medication which contains a pain pill a half hour early and that seemed to help. I returned to reading my book and shortly after midnight was able to fall asleep.

At 2:30 AM I was bolted out of sleep by a return of the pain. This time I didn’t feel so exhausted and because the pain was once again approaching that dreaded level 10 on a scale of 0 to 10, decided that it had been 6 hours since I had taken the last pain medication so I took another pill and managed to fall back asleep after a half hour. This morning I am still tired with a pain level of 4 to 5. I now face the issue of “Do I take a pain pill in order to get ahead of the pain”; however pain medication has side effects that sometime are as bad as the pain. A decision I will have to make in the next hour or so because it has been 5 hours since I’ve taken my last pain pill and I must wait at least 6 hours between pills. So do I take a pain pill and feel drowsy and doped, or do I take my chances on a repeat of yesterday?

Not an easy question.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home